lifeintheuktest
10 years ago
Hello,

We are an EEA couple who have married and lived in the UK, in the same town for 8 years now. We have decided to apply together for naturalisation since we feel this is our home. We both have worked for a continuous period of 8 and 6 years respectively. My husband has always been in full time work. However, myself (the wife) have been unemployed for the last 2 years (since July 2011) voluntarily. I have been doing voluntary educational work for a charity (notvocational/related to previous employment) and we been living off my husbands income and we do have savings.
I have never claimed/been on any benefits and never been on Jobseekers allowance. So, my questions are:
is this a problem since I haven't been working for the past 12 months? 
- the fact that i did work for 6 years continuously means that i am considered a worker/employee, although i am no longer working, and consequently have the right to permanently reside here?*
- or do I have to be considered a self-sufficient person?  if not what other option?  'family member'?
- if self-sufficient do i have to get comprehensive insurance cover for both of us?

Thank you all so much for your help. It's much appreciated.

"A person who has a permanent right of residence

The following persons shall acquire the right to reside in the United Kingdom permanently

an EEA national or Swiss national who has resided in the United Kingdom and has had a right to reside here for a continuous period of five years;" 
Sponsor